Sunday, February 22, 2009

About

About This Site:


Learn. Teach. Educate. is an online journal that covers various aspects of learning, teaching, and education in general. The focus is on primary education, with an interest in Special Education (including Gifted Education), as well as areas such as technology and creativity in learning, and Australian education. It is a record of different resources, ideas, tips, reviews, and other information that may be useful for parents, teachers, and learners alike.



About Me:


I'm currently enrolled as a student teacher, taking up a Master of Teaching in Special Education degree. This is my second postgraduate education. I have a Master of Social Science in Applied Psychology degree and a four-year Bachelor of Science degree in Psychology.


I have been a teacher in a previous life - teaching communication skills, the expressive arts, and other subjects to varying student levels (from kids to adults). However, since I opted to pursue the practice of psychology, I ended up training and working in that area. Specifically, in the field of disabilities. I worked with multi-disciplinary teams servicing people with intellectual and developmental disabilities, as well as served as a consultant in a school for kids with hearing impairment.


This is how my professional interest in Special Education began.


On a personal level, I'm a mum to two kids - a five-year-old boy who just started school and a two-year-old girl who wishes she's already in school. My partner in raising these two wonderful kids is a University lecturer, whom I'm married to for almost 10 years.


Recently, my son has been informally assessed by a Special Education teacher in his current school as someone who's performing ahead of his peers (reading at least 2-3 years ahead, able to play the piano, doing 1-2 years ahead in numeracy, etc). He is currently being monitored as a "gifted" student.


And, this how my personal interest in the field of Special and Gifted Education began.


Also see: Welcome Message



0 comments:

Post a Comment